Sunday, January 18, 2015

Studio Tour

Despite it feeling a bit pretentious to call my little office space a studio, I thought I'd give you all a studio tour. I know I always like seeing the workspaces of other hobbyists!


Above is what my office room looks like from the living room when the french doors are closed, which doesn't happen often. They need door handles yet! 


Looking into the office, you can see the loveseat and my sheepskin rug, which is so soft but often gets in the way of my chair.


My dad made the desk. I have a view out into the trees in the backyard. I'm lucky to have a large, bright work area, although by the time I get home from working at the school it is usually dark outside anyways...


A TV shelf to the right of my desk that I really need to clear some space on for my horses.


My unpainted Knightly Cadence resin is the only model I have with me while I'm at school, although I might grab a few more when I go home, for tack fitting purposes. I like making tack on this model because I'm currently just practicing techniques and I don't have to worry about damaging its finish.


My glass cutting mat is home to the pieces of what will become my first western saddle. A word to the wise: don't buy a cutting mat made of glass. It is only good for scrapbookers and is really not conducive to cutting and tooling leather. I need to invest in a small self-healing mat at some point!


To the left of my chair I have a filing cabinet which holds school paperwork and leather that I want to keep out of the sun. I don't have a very large collection of tackmaking supplies, so most of what I do own is in these three plastic organizers. I was PIF'd a bunch of models and some leatherworking tools a few years back and included was the lovely hand-tooled silver plates in that bag sitting on top. Someday I will make a saddle that is worthy of them!


Most of my tools gathered together. I find that the cheap sponge brush is great for wetting leather.


My photocopied and tape-laminated cutouts sitting on top of Susan Bensema-Young's Guide. I have really only begun to explore this book, but I'm finding it useful so far.

What is your studio space like? I'd be interested to see how others organize their desk area!









No comments:

Post a Comment