Friday, February 4, 2011

Workspace Organization

I haven't posted much lately because I've been busy with exams and haven't done a lot of tack making. I have, however, done some organizing. My workbench was becoming unpleasant to work at because it was cluttered with so much stuff:


I just realized how horrendous these photos are. Sorry about that!

Now my desk looks like this:


Better, right?

On the weekend, I made a stop at Michael's to pick up some supplies. A snazzy organizer:


And some tools and materials:


-Round-nosed pliers (the packaging said "sparkle pliers". I had no idea why until I opened it--the handles are purple with blue sparkles!)
-Green wire snips (hopefully they'll work well for cutting buckles apart as well)
-Ergonomic exacto knife for skiving
-Thin wire for buckle tongues
-Sticky wax
-Pencil punch (alright, I found this in a drawer and just mangled it until it submitted to my will)
-Jewel-It and Tacky Glue
-a giant mallet that I found in the garage ;)

Now that my workspace is organized, it should be much nicer to work on tack! Here's what I've been slowly picking away at while my desk was out of commission:


Cross-stitching is very relaxing :)

3 comments:

  1. Wow Becca!!! Looks fantastic!!! What a great workspace! I really like that organizer; I am going to go to Michael's now and look for one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also find cross-stitching relaxing but I don't know how to finish a pad that I have random pieces strewn all over my messy desk. Do you put felt or something under the piece or just leave it? I've tried some things and I can't figure out what gives nice edges with less bulk. Any help/ides would be appreciated. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't actually finished my saddle pad yet, but I'm thinking that I will cut the excess off, leaving about a centimetre, fold them under and iron it flat, and then stitch (or maybe glue?) white felt on the back of the pad with tiny stitches one square in from the edge. I think it is good to have some sort of backing, because it makes the pad more stable and protects the horse :).

    ReplyDelete